Soapstone performs a key service for the Oregon and Southwest Washington writing community by sending out email announcements of events, readings, workshops, grant opportunities, lectures and other writing-related news to about 1200 people every other week. Writing workshops, salons, bookstore readings, library events, open mikes at neighborhood coffeehouses, and book-release parties are all announced along with notices about job openings, opportunities for freelancers and volunteers, publications seeking work for special issues and new books by writers in the community. It's not a listserv; we vet the notices we receive and pass along those that fit within our guidelines.
To Receive the Announcements:
To Send an Announcement:
We are not a listserv (where any individual can post to the whole group). If you want an announcement included, send it as text in the body: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will include it if it fits the criteria. Each announcement is sent out only once, so time it appropriately; please don't send us "reminder" announcements. We don't proofread so make sure your announcement is accurate and contains all pertinent information: date, place, time, cost, deadline, email to respond to, etc. Information in the subject line will not be included.
There is no charge:
- For listing events that are free and open to the public.
- For events for which the cost is $25 or less.
- For offering to give items to literary organizations or writers (computers, desks, anything, really) or to make known a "wish list" of what you need for your organization or writing life.
We charge a nominal fee for:
- Listing workshops for writers ($25).
- Networking notices from those who are on the list: roommates wanted, home for a pet needed, housesitter needed, etc. ($15).
- Announcements of new books by Oregon or Southwest Washington authors where there is no reading, just the announcement of the book's release or a book signing. ($25).
Make checks out to Soapstone, Inc. and mail to 622 SE 29th Avenue, Portland, OR 97214 or pay online at the Network for Good secure website.
We do not endorse (or necessarily know anything about) the announcements we send out. You will need to investigate workshops, classes, etc., if you are interested in them. Similarly, we do not endorse anyone who answers a request for housesitting. The list is open to anyone, and many of the emails are forwarded to others not on the list.
We are very grateful to Yvonne Garcia of Trillium Tech Solutions for her generous donation of time over many years to set up and tame our data base which, among other essential functions, sends out the email announcements.