Study Groups Celebrating a Woman Writer's Work
Small grants are available to pay for a leader and a venue for the purpose of delving into the work of a woman writer. It can be a broad survey or focus in depth on one or a few works. The groups can be up to 12 "group hours" and organized in a variety of ways: two consecutive 6-hour days, four 3-hour sessions, etc. They must be advertised to the public. Soapstone charges participants a modest fee. Scholarships are available to anyone who cannot afford the fee.
Grants are available to cover:
• payment to the group leader ($100 per group hour for a maximum of $1200)
• venue (Soapstone will work with the group leader to arrange and pay for a suitable venue)
Participants will be selected on a first-come-first-served basis. It is hoped that groups will reach the maximum of 15 participants. No funding will be provided if the registration is less than 10.
General information about grants.
To Apply for a Grant
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Describe the study group you would like to lead, and the dates, or approximate dates you are considering for meetings. Please be specific about how many sessions and what will be covered.
- Tell us about yourself and anything you’d like to say about why the writer’s work is important to you.
- Tell us how you will publicize the study group to potential participants.
Both women and men are encouraged to apply to lead a study group. There are many possible formats for these groups but we do expect that the group leader will be significantly more knowledgeable about the subject than the participants, will select the work or works to be studied, and will come to each meeting prepared to lead an interesting and lively discussion.
Please review the Agreement for Study Groups before you apply. We will ask you to sign it if a grant is awarded.